Polka dots have been a popular pattern throughout history. They are a timeless print that has been spotted on styles for over 150 years. Everyone from Marilyn Monroe to today’s trendy stars like Katy Perry have been seen sporting them. This season alone, they were featured in runway shows for designers including Jason Wu, Marc Jacobs and Diane Von Furstenberg. Wearable at any age, they can add a fun, flirty or feminine vibe to your look, depending on how you style them. There are so many options when it comes to polka dot prints that it can get a bit confusing. There are polka dot accents and accessories like scarves and tights, and there are polka tops, skirts, shoes and dresses too. There are different colors to choose from and different size dots. You can create wild but wearable styles or sweet and dainty looks but you’ll need to know what works best for you and how to mix and match to avoid a polka dot overload or a fashion flop. First, lets start with some tips:
Polka Dot Basics
- Don’t mix too many polka dot pieces in a single look. One or two pieces is fine.
- If you have a tiny frame, larger polka dots can add volume. For example, if you have a smaller bottom half and want to add curves wear a polka dot pant or skirt to add interest to the area.
- Similarly, if you have a large frame, wear smaller polka dots as larger ones will create an illusion of added bulk.
- Polka dots are a bold pattern that can flatter you and distract from flaws. If you have a wide waist, a drapey polka dot top can help hide it.
- When mixing polka dot pieces opt for different size dots or a similar size in contrasting colors.
Now that you know some key points when it comes to wearing and pairing polka dots, lets discuss different ways we can wear them and what styles work best. Polka dots can be worn for both evening events and casual occasions as well as work. Of course, you’ll wear them differently depending on the setting. Some pretty polka dot styles involve accessorizing with polka dots, pairing polka dots with denim, dotted dresses with sweet heels or flats and breezy polka dot skirts with fitted tops. Here are some examples of perfectly polka dotted looks spotted on celebs:
By now, you probably have a good idea of what’s available and what polka dot looks you’ll love. All you need to get started styling your polka dots is a pretty polka dot piece or two. Here are some affordable options and some suggestions for styling them.
- Black or Red Ballet Flats
- Black or Red Pointy Flats
- Black Patent Pumps
- Black or Red Pumps
- Black Opaque Tights
- Black, White or Red Blazer
- Thin or Beaded Red Bracelet
- Black, White or Red Shades
- Black, White, Red or Neon V-Neck Tee
- White or Red Opaque Tights
- Black, Silver or White Bangles
- Black, White, Red or Neon Flats
- Black Ankle Boots
- Black Mid Calf Flat Boots
- Black, White, Red ore Neon Button up Sweater
- Nude, Navy or White Cami
- Dark or Medium Wash Skinny Jeans
- Dark or Medium Wash Boot cut Jeans
- Black, Navy or Gold Ballet Flats
- Black Ankle Boots
- Black Mid Calf Boots
- Black or Navy Pumps
- Navy or Gold Bangles